Monday, October 14, 2013

An Empty Land

I walk into the familiar coffee shop, where the table by the window had belonged to me and my friends, each weekend, long ago. I order the same, for old times' sake, and we sit in silence, my coffee and I.

I look around, unseeing, as the years melt and fall away. I'm that effervescent girl once more and my friends are here with me, squeezing in around the table, engaged in noisy banter. We talk, we dream, we build castles in the air...

And in that fleeting moment, nothing has changed.

I blink, and the magic is gone. The coffee shop looks a little worse for wear now, the music that emanates from the speakers is not the same and the view from the window looks jaded. My friends are long gone, scattered across the miles, separated by distances and priorities, and the castles we built in the air are now lives rooted in routine and responsibility...

Everything has changed.

I pay for the coffee, swing my bag over my shoulder and get up to leave.
___________________________________________________________________

4 comments:

  1. It reminds me of a song I learnt in school...Those were the days my friend...
    Anyways...im still here so lets go have a cuppa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the title! :) And yes keep camera handy for whenever you go get some coffee again (because its gonna be either with Priyanka or me :P)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @pri...neat song, that! and yes, for that cuppa! let's!
    @via...we can all go together! you guys did meet at my birthday party! and there's much to gab about!! :D

    ReplyDelete