Thursday, February 16, 2012

This is why India will always fail - 2


The maid super-hurries through her work today. She has to go vote, she says. She and her daughter have been paid 5K to vote for some douchebag political puppet, she says. (Her words, not mine, as translated loosely from an enthusiastic burst of rapid Marathi that I choose to interpret this way)

Despite the money, she’s going to vote for someone else, she tells me, with a cheeky grin that I can’t quite help mirroring. She's clueless, really, about the whole thing, but she’ll choose a face/symbol that seems slightly more familiar than the others, she decides. But vote, she will.

I raise my eyebrows in mock horror, but I guess until I go out there, and cast my own vote – which must logically follow the making of an informed decision, which again, given my complete lack of interest in politics, may not exactly happen - I dare not judge anyone. Not her, not the douchebag, not the system.

The question is, what’s worse, eventually - ignorance or apathy? Then again, who knows? And who cares?

3 comments:

  1. LOL! Can you imagine how the party workers would feel if they knew what she was really upto!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is often said 'Ignorance is bliss". If this is how most of India votes I can see where we're headed... Down the drain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @leena...rather comic, eh?! :D
    @via...ah, sweet ignorance! ;)

    ReplyDelete