Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Turn Right


We’ve all done it; Looked down the road not taken and wondered what lay at the end of it. And we’ve closed our eyes and tried to imagine what might have been…how life might have been different…how we might have been different.

Sure, we’re making choices all the time, but there are some, which mark the turning points in our lives. These are the choices that eventually define us...that make us who we are. Only, we don’t know it at that time. 

Bangalore, for me, is that road not taken, and the turning point in my life. I return to visit though, and every once in a while, indulge in imagining the alternate destiny I must have forfeited the day I had eloped with my freedom, from the city that was once to have been home. I had turned my back on what my family had planned and thought best for me, along with a future filled with possibilities…one that may have turned out very different from what I know now.

However, when we run away from something, we are also running toward something else, though at that time, the ‘something else’ had been clouded with ambiguity and uncertainty, save for the fact that it felt right somehow; that it would have to be better than what I was leaving behind. But I’m a believing is seeing kind of person, and the path I had paved for myself two decades ago, has brought me to this time and place, with the immensely satisfying awareness that trading those possibilities then, seems insignificant in the light of what I have now, and that life couldn’t have turned out better. 

“Funny...I guess destiny is not the path given to us, but the path we choose for ourselves.” And I agree with Megamind on this, because the future isn’t set in stone. We are constantly changing it through our choices…through both, the paths we take, and those we don’t. And somewhere in those spaces between what we know and what we don’t, between what we can control and what we can’t, lies faith...Faith that things will eventually be okay, and that we will be happier, for having had the courage to listen to our heart.

2 comments: